Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Thar Desert, Rajasthan

We have now flown from Delhi to Jodhpur, and driven 3 1/2 hours into the desert.  We are finally out to Randy's home away from home, although he spends more time here than at home.  I LOVE seeing where he spends all his time, eats, sleeps, works and the struggles he deals with on a day to day basis.  Being here puts all the stories in perspective.  I am sitting at the desk and being brought tea by the same boy that I have only seen via Facetime.  

Yesterday the drive brought in more sites and animals.  Now we have camels in the road, buffalo, and peacocks. Pretty sad that the shoulder of the road is less bumpy than the road itself in places.  Things that I'm getting used to.  :)  Lakes and temples along the way and many, MANY people walking along the road on their personal pilgrimage to a holy temple.  Walking 100 + km carrying flags, bags, and children.  Their faith, determination and passion intrigues me!! 

The food... oh, the food!  I'm REALLY liking the food.  I'm being cautious and thankfully have had little problems.  My friend Judy told me of surviving on bread and water so I was afraid.  Dal and chipati are my favorite.  Butter or garlic chipati, I'm not picky!  Samosa, lentil salad, Indian salt spice, .... YUM!    I draw the line when it comes to buffalo milk and mutton!  I tell you what, I'm visiting the Indian grocery when I get back to the states for Indian spice, cardamom, coriander, cumin, curry, ginger, chilis etc. 

Okay....... things that will get old very quickly .... that lack of reliable internet, solar heated water that only allows you a hot shower at night, the bugs... YUCK!  big bugs and lizards, snakes... no thank you!  The power goes out tens of times per day!  Besides the fact that I'm going to want the biggest, juiciest BEEF burger and/or prime rib when I get home, hands down!!

I will close for now.... wishing you all a BIG hello and and even BIGGER I miss you!  Cheers! 

No comments:

Post a Comment