Monday, September 24, 2012

Camel ride

Let me put this in perspective.... prior to yesterday, the only camel ride I had been on was at Marine World approx 40yrs ago (don't do any math!!) and there was a raised platform to get on and then a hand rail to hold while on the "ride".  This was the real thing!  The camels came to get us at the hotel where we mounted and hung on for dear life as the camel raised to the front legs and then on to his back.  Now 8 feet in the air we traveled 10km for our trek through a village and up to the sand dunes.  We were able to see real homes, working farms and more families fascinated by the white people.  All the women working in their saris and covering their faces out of respect for the elders.  The children helping and running and playing outside.  No tv and video games here!  We reached a home, got off and took a break in one of their huts.  The elders did an opium ceremony which we proceeded to pass in partaking but it was very interesting watching the men drink from eachothers hands just enough to relax their bodies.  :)  Randy and a friend from before shared hooka and I even tried it.  Not for me but it tasted like cherry!  LOL  Off to another hut where they served us a cold corona (yep!  Corona in the desert of India!) and a fabulous dish of fried buttermilk.  Absolutely delish with naan baked in a brick oven.  What an authentic and wonderful experience and one I will not soon forget.  2 of the boys that befriended me yesterday followed along with a few friends and walked along with us the entire time, approx 6 miles.  They thought nothing of it.  I kept thinking of how many children in the US would voluntarily walk the distance and not fight their parents to get off the tv, computer or cell phones.  What a difference!

Later yesterday we went into Decchu, the local village, for a little shopping and then continued to Uncle's home for happy hour.  Uncle, as he is affectionately called, is a land owner and I would guess middle class.  He had for us corona for Randy and Sula Sauvignon Blanc (my new favorite Indian wine) for me.  His wife put together snacks of apples and cucumbers.  Just lovely!!  We toured his home and was impressed again of how proud everyone is.  The warmth and hospitality puts life in perspective.  It's not what you have or what you don't have that is important, it's the love you share with others and the time spent enjoying your friends and family that is what makes you rich.  (Having said that, I was sooo jealous of their pantry with large shelves and storage and pots and pans large enough to cook for the entire village - which I am pretty convinced that they have done!)

Sounds like my Eat, Pray, Love is kicking in and it is.  :)

Tonight I am cooking in the hotel kitchen for the men working at the site.  Since we cannot eat beef and a burger is what everyone is craving, I ordered ground buffalo (embrace the buffalo!) and shrimp to make scampi.  Randy wants cheesy mashed potatoes and I am cooking aspragas.  When I asked for fresh, they got me a FRESH CAN!  Love it.  Add garlic and Sula wine and I'm sure it will be fine.  I will pretend I'm on Iron Chef or Chopped and do the best I can with what I can find.  :)  Looking forward to the challenge!!

Until next time.....

No comments:

Post a Comment