Thursday, December 6, 2012

India .... I'm baack!

I must say that coming to India a second time is much easier. I am not as intimidated by the congestion of people, noises, and vehicles. I actually find that I missed a lot of the quirks and idiosyncrasies that I associate to India: honking of the buses and cars, slums with satellite dishes mounted on top, spicy food, the “bobble-head” answers and animals & people sharing the same land. Hard to put the experience into words and pictures but the colorful country and people capture you.

Upon arrival into Mumbai it came clear that this wasn’t my 1st time. I am no longer a tourist. I don’t look like a target. I walked with purpose. I wasn’t interrogated by customs, I knew the drill of the constant security checks, I knew when to get pushy and when to allow the men to be gentlemen. As I walked into the arrival courtyard and found the Renaissance sign and met my driver outside the gate, I was soooo happily surprised by a familiar voice asking “Can I help you ma’am?” My wonderful husband had met me in Mumbai! I probably shocked a few Indian’s as my refluxes shot out and swatted him on the face, but oh well! Now with Randy here I could let down my guard and have him be in charge. The mental part of my vacation has now begun!

Flight delay after flight delay, my 3am arrival into Mumbai turned into a 7am wakeup call for Randy as I wasn’t having any part of sleep. Our driver dropped us off at the domestic terminal, Randy enjoyed the familiar KFC and me a $16 vodka tonic and off we flew from Mumbai to Jodhpur. Another driver and we were on our way out to the Rajasthan Thar Desert. An ATM stop, wine stop, cigarette stop and we are on our way. Another stop for the driver to get newspaper to put in the window to block the sun and next thing you know I was being woken up as we arrived the Thar Oasis Resort. Home sweet home.

Good to be back at the Thar. Familiar faces, progress in their construction and the same children playing at their gates. I befriended the children the last time I was here and was happy to see their enthusiasm when they saw me back again. The crazy white lady is back! This time I came prepared with fun things I thought they would enjoy… bubbles, jump rope, color crayons and activity books. Candy, a train whistle and glow in the dark bracelets. Nothing made me happier than watching the kids and teens blow bubbles and laugh and share an experience even though we didn’t share the same language. They even let the crazy white lady hold the new baby… too much fun!

Day 2 of Randy going to work and me relaxing at the Thar Oasis. The weather is so much better than when I was here in September. Cool enough in the evening to wear a sweatshirt and low 80’s in the afternoons. I’ve opened up our cottage to the fresh air and sunshine, ceiling fan overhead and sounds of the musical honks on the highway. India is not for the weary but it sure has it’s appeal.

 
http://tharoasis.com

2 comments:

  1. This is so very awesome. I look forward to reading more of your adventures in India. Take care my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kath!!! The adventures just continue this days.... :)

      Delete