Saturday, December 8, 2012

A Normal Indian Day ....

A normal Indian Day….

My day started as if I was in America. I got up, got ready, Randy went off to work and I had some errands and shopping to be done before we went to Jodhpur for the weekend. We had a wedding to go to! My driver picks me up and takes me to the pharmacy to fill a “prescription” for Randy. Now I use the word prescription loosely. It’s a folded piece of normal paper with 3 Rx scribbled with a date and signature. My driver drops me near the “medicine shop” in our local village and we park in the dirt, I dodge cars, buses, motorcycles and cows as I run across the street. Upon paying I am given the prescription back. Interesting!

We continue our drive into Jodhpur….. My Indian pseudo son, Satu, met me at the hotel to take me shopping for a dress. We proceed to the “mall”, which is like an old Woolworths that has a little of everything and walk to the back where there is a bunch of fabric. I will preface this by saying I am aware I am not the smallest person and I also realize that in American standards I am not the largest either. In Indian standards I am an amazon! The lady proceeds to take my measurements while saying select English words … fatty, thick, unhealthy, and you need to run was understood in English and then many other comments in Indian that Satu was kind as to not translate. Thank goodness I am aware of my “thickness” and have a solid self esteem!!!   In 3 hours time my dress would be ready. Now I need sandals….. Okay I wear an 8 ½ in US sizes, again, here I am an amazon woman. The largest Indian size is 12 and that’s my size. Now bangles … I have small hands and wrists BUT they had to go to the biggest sizes under the counter to accommodate my girth! Satu and I proceed to pickup the boys new suits, get some Sula Sauvignon Blanc for momma J , and grab some lunch. Fun afternoon with my “son”!

It is wedding time and tourist season in Rajasthan. The weather is wonderful; warm in the afternoons and cool at night. There is no need for a/c or heater. Our favorite hotels in Jodhpur are either unavailable or nearly $400/night US. We trusted another friend to find us a hotel and I am pleasantly surprised that we have found a hotel for under $80 US that has character and all the modern conveniences we need. Beautiful garden, Havali type architecture, retro, eclectic, pool and 70’s Brady Bunch color walls and furniture style. The window in the bathroom strategically over the kitchen of the restaurant next door. Hmmmm??

After work Randy met me in Jodhpur in time to get ready for the wedding. Satu brought me my handmade outfit and his sister-in-law to help me get dressed. I have a entirely new appreciation for Indian women looking beautiful and being able to dress, work, walk, cook and take care of their children while looking so lovely in their sarees. Safety pins, tight knots, proper tucking and always holding your headpiece, oh my! She taught me how to dress with seams in the correct direction, correct folds, etc. Then to complete my outfit she took the forehead decoration off of herself and put it on me. Endearing act of kindness!

Randy in his handmade Indian suit and myself in my handmade Indian dress and off to the wedding we go…..

http://innseasonjodhpur.com/

1 comment:

  1. You look awesome! What a great adventure. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete