Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Good morning from the Thar Desert

As I sit and wait for my driver to come take us to the site, I reflect on how hard and fun my day is going to be.  After 1/2 day of reading and relaxing I asked the site director to put me to work.  My challenge today is to get a bunch of trailers ready for a meeting.  They were just delivered and need to be set up, cleaned, electrical connected, wi-fi hooked up and all the tables/chairs set up for tomorrow.  Presentation area, breakout rooms and screen for a presentation.  This is right up my alley!!  Challenge #1 is having the Indian laborers stop staring at me because I am a white woman and start taking direction from me.  Yes, this is going to be interesting.  On the way back to the hotel last night we stopped off at the largest village and bought cleaning supplies.  This was another high point.  So it's after dark, lights hanging across the road, load music blaring from speakers, the people on their pigrimage to Ramdeora have stopped for the night, and white people drive up to a "general store" and I use the term loosely.  We are looking for windex, floor cleaner and rags.  These are villagers and trying to get our point across was hysterical ..... BUT mission accomplished.  We got all we needed plus cashews to put on the tables.  :)  Mop will be a stick and the rag at the bottom.  Bucket will need to be figured out.  Screen and separation will be bed sheets from the hotel.  I feel like McGyver Linn and having a ball!!  I don't think these laborers know that I'm a woman, mom and I can bark orders in any language.  They are going to wish that the crazy white woman will go home.  :)  I mean it all in jest but I will report back on my progress!!

No comments:

Post a Comment